Note: A feature request for an Official FAQ-like page has been posted in meta (as suggested by Andy Ford) at http://meta.doctype.com/forums/26218-general/suggestions/472349-add-an-faq-to-doctype-com. For those interested, please make a vote.
While attempting to have the feature implemented, I created this temporary page to help make doctype.com better in terms of usage and getting the users to know more about how to use this site properly and in ways which it is built for. This post is to complement the existing "About Doctype" page.
Please do not add answer to this "question" because it is not one. However comments are welcome. Click the "Add a comment" link at the bottom of this question (and comments) to give your comments.
Neverthless, you can try to ask a question which might be suitable to be included in this FAQ by adding an answer, so we can then address them with their's own set of comments. I do not recommend upvoting those answers as this FAQ has nothing to do with reputation points.
I will continuously update this post to serve as a unofficial FAQ until an official one comes in (hopefully).
Here we go....
What are the things you can do other than just posting questions and answers?
- Edit your own question if you need to add more information (e.g. source code) or make amendments to it? Click on the "Edit this question" link under the question title:
- Format your source code by highlighting the codes and press "Ctrl-K" keys OR click the "Code sample" key
- Add images using the image key
(restrict the image width to less than 530px)
- Add a line break by adding 2 spaces to the end of the previous line (else it'll only be rendered as a space)
- Add a paragraph breaks by inserting 2 line breaks in the editor
- Add inline codes using the backtick character. The one below the "esc" key and to the left of your "1" key on your keyboard (usually). Here's a sample:
- Add 4 spaces on a new paragraph (2 line breaks) to start typing codes
- Hyperlink highlighted text by pressing "Ctrl-L" to pop-up the hyperlink dialog
- Add a picture/avatar to your profile by matching your email (registered on this site) to your gravatar.com account
- Access the site with ease via most modern mobile phone browsers
(view bigger screenshot)
- more to come....
What are the reputation points for?
When you achieved:
- 100 pts, you get to edit other users' answers and questions
- 500 pts, you get to close other users' questions which you feel are inappropriate or are duplicates
- 1000 pts, you get to delete other users' answers which seem to be spam
What are the good practices encouraged in the doctype.com community?
- Use comment to feedback to a user's question/answer and not by adding a new answer UNLESS of course you have a genuine one
- Try to accept an answer to your question unless of course there are none or current answers are not satisfactory
- Try to elaborate your question by providing Url to a page of the question concerned, codes or simply be more descriptive
- Try to add appropriate tags to your question so that searching or browsing by tags gives more result
- Address another user name with a "@" in front. E.g. "@o.k.w, I strongly disagree with your view,......"
- Try to hyperlink (explicitly) any Url, do not just type http://doctype.com, hyperlink the text into http://doctype.com
- Ensure that you check back regularly after asking a question as people will usually ask for further information
- If you see an answer or question that is a spam link, leave it alone. A moderator can only delete the post if there are no comments or down votes on the item.
- more to come.....
And the Bad?
- Do not copy and paste source codes without formatting them as code (see above for how to perform code formatting) as it will be rendered literally as what they are and users might not see them.
<script>...</script>will not be displayed if not code formatted.
- Do not answer your own questions, if you found the answer independently of this site add a comment stating this. If someone provided an answer, which while not actually answering your question in full nevertheless led you to find an answer, give rep and leave a comment at least, or award the star answer
- Do not award the star answer to yourself (this should never happen if you don't answer your own questions anyway)
- Do not insert image with width wider than 530px which is the width of the question body space
- Do not bookmark a question by its Url as reflected in the browser's address bar, use the "Short link to this page" on the right sidebar instead; as the former will change with the question title whereas the latter is the permanent one. The url for this question is http://doctype.com/l9F
Any other interesting facts?
- doctype.com is part of the stack exchange family
- doctype.com is written in Ruby on Rails
- Acronymns, OP = original post/poster of the question, rep (pts) = reputation points (anymore anyone?)
Last updated: 2011 Apr 22, 1543 hr GMT